Thursday, August 03, 2006

Indie Rock.

I've already mentioned the fact that I'm musically stuck in the mid-nineties...so I guess this is redundant. Whatever. I've come to terms recently with the fact that I'll never appreciate any new music unless it sounds like something I listened to on the way to my tenth grade drama class, first thing in the morning. This would include, but not be limited to, Sebadoh or Pavement. Yeah, that's about it. Oh! Mazzy Star. That too.

Anyway, I don't think I've really advanced musically speaking. I still count Sebadoh, Pavement and Superchunk as three of my favoprite bands of all time and any new music I listen to is pretty much in the same vein if not a direct descendent of these bands. Broken Social Scene, Band of Horses and other bands emerging from the Great Indie Rock Lull of 1997-2003 or so, I allow these bands to pass my stringent requirements based on their obvioous ties to the previous generation and in the former's case, because they're Canadian and you often here the word "collective" used instead of "band" in regard to them. That's a nice change. "Oooohhh, it's a collective? Wow." I don't know. I guess that sounds about right for the anonymous person I just created.

I'm realizing now that there isn't a real point to any of this. Yeah, I like indie rock a lot. I like the Sebadoh song "Gimme Indie Rock" a WHOLE lot. I like the Pavement DVD and the Superchunk DVD even though the video's are shit. By the way, if you watch that DVD, check out the one's directed by Peyton Reed. He later did "Bring It On". Oh, and Sabrina Lloyd, who was later on the bomb ass show "Sports Night", is in the video for "Untied", which is the worst video I've ever seen.

No comments: