Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Marc Bolan and the Best "Yeah" Ever.

I have two great musical icons. Lou Barlow is one. He was the first one, actually. I heard "Natural One" in a Buzz Clip commercial on MTV when I was in the 9th grade. Iwas at my friend's house after sneaking out (a weekend ritual at that age) and around 3 a.m. I heard maybe two seconds of that song and I was sold. I went and got the soundtrack very soon after that and probably listened to that song...I don't know, everyday for 3 years. The thing is, yeah, that soundtrack made me love Folk Implosion, but the song "Spoiled", that is right after "Natural One" blew my fucking mind. So, soon after THAT I went and bought what I still hold as one of the greatest albums of all time, "III". That record was everything I had ever wanted out of music even though I hadn't know I had wanted it. Does that make sense? Well, ever since then I've been into indie rock almost excluively as my musical genre of choice.

Ray Davies is the other musical man of my dreams. "Deadend Street" is the song that did it. It's a B-Side and all I had heard up until that point had been the early hits like "You Really Got Me". Those songs are good and some of them are great. Let that be said, BUT motherfucking "Arthur", "Village Green Preservation Society" and "Something Else by The Kinks"? Those are three of the best pop albums ever made. I can't remember which record "Deadend Street" is a B-Side of, but I'm sad it didn't make it onto the record. That song is mind-blowing. I remember hearing it for the first time and listening to it all the time after that. Although I had known the Kinks, that song is what made me realize the genius of Ray Davies. Ever since then, I steal ideas from the Kinks and consistently site them as the potential title holder of the greatest pop song ever written; "Waterloo Sunset".

As of last night I've added one more to that list. If you read the title of this, you know where I'm going with this. I may be jumping the gun here, it was only last night that this revelation hit me: Marc Bolan is a fucking genius of boogie and has the best "yeah" in rock and roll history (Roger Daltry is a dully noted second place). Now, I define "Boogie" here as plainly having a great time while playing bad ass, yet fun as hell riffs that show through on the recording. Rephrase; the riffs don't have to show though, the good times should show through...and they do...in this band. I guess that's why T-Rex is so appealing to me; they're as much fun to listen to as my favorite pop bands while rocking hard enough to make me do lots of air guitar leg kicks. Thank you Marc Bolan. Thank you.

And thus I now have 3.

No comments: