Monday, October 16, 2006

weekend review by Jeff

Weekend end review

Youtube-here are the highlights: Dog Police, Phone Tag, Rocket From the Crypt on Craig Kilborn, Ladysmith Black etc. in OuterSpace, Sesame Street from the 70’s clips.

Killers “Sam’s town”- I don’t listen to Bruce Springsteen so I can’t make the same comparison like every rock critic has been making. I hear more Cars and U2 than anything else. The songs are stuck in my head but you got to wade through some shit to get to “the good stuff.” You can see me running through the streets of Richmond in a drunken stupor soon mixing up lyrics with this record and Alkaline Trio pretty soon.

Cursive “Happy Hollow”-Another small town themed record. This one is a little more saturnine dealing with the concepts of getting older and losing ambition/dreams. It spoke to my macabre inclinations a little more than the Killers’ Sam’s Town. It’s really good once you get used to the brass section.

Young Widows “Settle Down City”-I like Jesus Lizard, too. SDC is not as good to run to as Breather Resist’s “Charmer” but the Young Widows debut does make me air drum and whisper shouted lyrics out loud. Then my boss walks by and notices.

M Ward “Post War”- music to chill too. “To Go Home” is really catchy.

Dig!-As much as I love seeing a bunch of douchebags dicking each other around before serving their cocks on a platter to a bunch of suits, the rental was worth watching Brian Jonestown Massacre dude kick a man in the head. And that scene where the band self destructed on stage was pretty killer. But can anyone not admit that this movie kind of drags and it sort of depressing?

Thank You for Smoking- I really related to this movie because I a)am a lobbyist b) have a son c) feel it’s important to teach my son about valuable life lessons d) am generally despised by most people e)smoke f)copulate with young hot reporters from Washington D.C. g)get myself involved in scandalous actions. h) like watching movies more than reading books.

Rola’s watch selling hustler costume- Best pre-Halloween costume. Hands down.

Chuck Klosterman “Killing Yourself to Live”-I like cultural references as much as the next guy but this read like an advertisement for a lifestyle that most mid-20’s people lead right now. Despite this gripe, this was an excellent book and I suggest it to most people who enjoy the non fiction sector of literature.

Too Many Stars-comedy benefit for Autism hosted by Jon Stewart. I was impressed. I don’t think Chris Melloni was topped.

Commercials during Too Many Stars-What’s up with advertising? Give me a job!

Hot Peppers-Kickstart your night.

Nat’s Tofu (home brewed)-I’d eat it again.

Toscanini in Cambridge-the yogurt was a little too tart. The coffee was on point.

FUBU-they’re a working man’s band. For Us By Us. They liked Against Me! And Flogging Molly. A lot. Maybe too much. They also screamed “Firestorm Motherfucker!” at the end of a song. Did I mention that they’re an acoustic band?

Middle East in Cambridge-The veggie burger while I was eating it was good despite the price. The after burps reminded me of falafel. All evening, I tried to wrap my mind around the reason my breath reminded me of cumin.

5th Annual Welcher block party in Boston-jam band reggaefying The Band’s “I Shall Be Released.” You be the judge of that concept. Six beers an hour later and I was jumping on the Moonwalk blow up thing.

The Baltimore Ravens- I was not pleased with their performance. Hopefully they’ll take the Saints two weeks from now.

No comments: